How to Apply: 2016–2017 Katz Center Fellowship
Political Ramifications: Expanding Jewish Political Thought
The Katz Center invites applications from scholars in the humanities, social sciences, and the arts at all levels, as well as outstanding graduate students in the final stages of writing their dissertations. Scholars whose work fits squarely into the proposed research topic are eligible to apply. Fellowships granted may be for one semester or the full academic year. Scholars are required to spend the term of the fellowship in residence in Philadelphia at the Katz Center.
The Fellowship carries an annual stipend of a maximum of $60,000 plus single-coverage health insurance (fellows are responsible for coverage for any dependents). The stipend amount is based on academic standing and financial need.
The fellowship is open to all scholars, national and international, who meet application terms. International scholars are appointed under a J-1 visa only (Research Scholar status). No exceptions can be made, and the Katz Center reserves the right to cancel awards if the recipient is unable to meet this condition. Applicants should consult the international programs office at their current university to confirm eligibility before applying for this fellowship.
Application Deadline: November 1, 2015
- Click here to download the application form, which should be filled out and saved as a PDF. Name it "Application-last name-first name.pdf" (e.g., Application-Franklin-Ben.pdf)
- Prepare a curriculum vitae, which should be submitted as a PDF. Name it “CV-last name-first name.pdf”(e.g., CV-Franklin-Ben.pdf)
- Prepare a proposal, which should be 750-1000 words and submitted as a separate PDF. Name it “Proposal-last name-first name.pdf” (e.g., Proposal-Franklin-Ben.pdf)
- Arrange for three (3) letters of recommendation. Each referee should upload their letter to our secure server as a PDF only. The submission deadline for referees is November 1, 2015. We strongly encourage you to contact your referees early enough to give them adequate time to meet this deadline. You will receive an automated email once they have submitted the letter.
- Upload and submit your application, c.v., and proposal to our secure webform. Applications must be submitted online.
- Successful applications will proceed to a confirmation page and will receive an automated email confirming that the application has been received. Fellowship recipients will be notified by March 1, 2016.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I apply for a semester?
Yes, applicants can apply for a full year fellowship (September-April), a fall term fellowship (September-December), or a spring term fellowship (January-April).
How do I know if my application was received or processed?
Applicants will receive an automated email when the application form, cv, and proposal have been successful uploaded and will also receive automatic notification when recommendations are uploaded. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all recommendations and materials are received by the November 1, 2015 deadline.
Can I make changes to my application form, CV, or proposal after I’ve submitted it?
Please send all updates and changes to Carrie Love, fellowship coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When will successful applicants be notified?
No later than March 1, 2016.
Can my recommenders submit letters before I’ve completed and uploaded my application?
Yes, they may. Applicants will received an automatic email notification when recommendations have been uploaded on their behalf. Please direct recommenders to this url: http://katz.sas.upenn.edu/content/recommendation-letter-submission
Can I use Interfolio to send letters of recommendation?
Yes, Interfolio has a customized process in which applicants are able themselves to upload confidential letters and instuctions are listed below. Please follow these guidelines (do not follow the standard instructions on Interfolio's website, "uploading letters to an online application system"):
- Sign into your Interfolio Dossier account.
- From the main page, click "Start Delivery" (or on other pages, the orange "New Delivery" button).
- For destination, type "Custom Upload" or "Interfolio Custom Upload."
- Click "Select."
- On the next page, enter all letters you wish to have uploaded.
- Click "Continue" followed by "Proceed to Payment" to complete your request.
- Interfolio Scholar Services will send you an automatic email confirmation.
- You must REPLY to that email, giving Interfolio this (and only this) URL from our website: http://katz.sas.upenn.edu/content/recommendation-letter-submission
- Interfolio usually uploads your documents within 24 hours, although please allow some cushion to ensure that letters are uploaded to the Katz Center webpage no later than the November 1 deadline.
- If you have any difficulty with this process, please contact Interfolio directly at email@example.com or 877-997-8807 weekdays, 9am – 6 pm.
How is the stipend calculated?
Stipend amounts are based on academic standing and financial need, with a maximum of $60,000 for the academic year.
What else is included in the stipend offer?
The center also provides single-coverage health insurance (fellows are responsible for coverage for any dependents). A modest one-time travel reimbursement is also provided.
Residency and Accommodations
Are fellows required to be in residence?
Yes, fellows are expected to be in residence at the Katz Center in Philadelphia four (4) days a week, Monday through Thursday.
Does the Katz Center provide housing?
No, the center does not provide housing and it is not included in the fellowship stipend. Should you receive a fellowship, we are available to assist you in your housing search.
All other questions should be directed to the fellowship coordinator, Carrie Love at firstname.lastname@example.org.